The coronavirus leads to the postponement of C2020
Considering the very important public health issues at hand, the CES has decided to act prudently and to postpone the deployment of its 2020 conference initially planned for June 13-17, 2020. C2020 will become C2021! The Ottawa conference will be held at the Shaw Centre from May 8 to 12, 2021. This decision reflects that topmost on our minds is the safety of our volunteers and our delegates.
While there are surely aspects of this change that we have not yet identified, here are the basic guidelines that we will endeavour to put in place:
- In the coming weeks, all accepted presenters (keynotes, papers, workshops, thematic breakfasts) will be asked if they would like to retain their proposal for the new conference dates.
- If they do, they will later be offered a mechanism to update their proposal parameters if some changes are necessary (e.g., to the list of presenters).
- A new call for proposals will be issued in October 2020 to replace the presentations that need to be replaced.
- While the CES has the financial resources to face the situation, we will offer all paid registrants the option of maintaining their registration and leaving us their registration fees to avoid additional administrative and transaction costs for the CES. Current registrants who maintain their registration will be given first choice to select their workshops and other activities prior to opening up registration.
- Cancellation of registration by registrants will be possible (but not hoped for) and will be done without administration fees up to the opening of the early bird registration on February 1, 2021. Administration fees for cancellation will apply past that date.
- We will ask sponsors and exhibitors to maintain their commitment for the new date and to retain their financial contribution to avoid additional administrative and transaction fees.
We cannot thank enough our volunteers who remain committed to making C2021 a tremendous success. See you in May 2021!
The C2020 Co-Chairs, Benoit (he / his) and Jennifer (she / her / hers)
ABOUT CONFERENCE 2020
You will leave CES 2020 with new ideas and practices. The 2020 CES Conference will explore the world of evaluation utilization through three strands by first positioning it (what is it? is it a priority?), then by achieving it (how is it achieved? how do we know it has been achieved?), and by questioning it (whose utilization?).
Over the past 40 years, our notions of evaluation use – what it is, who is it for, and what constitutes success – have evolved, but critically important questions remain; just how comprehensive is evaluation use and what more can and should we be doing to enhance use? To explore this further with evaluation colleagues from the North, Central, and South Americas, join us at the CES 2020 Conference in Ottawa!
In addition to attending the conference, you will want to take the time to explore Ottawa before or after CES 2020. The land on which we will be meeting is the traditional, unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinabeg Nation and filled with much beauty and history.
Visit the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, steps away from the conference site and hotel. Spend time at Parliament Hill, the Supreme Court, the National Art Gallery and other national museums. Browse the nearby historic Byward Market or take in a world class concert at the National Arts Centre. Head out to explore Ottawa-Gatineau’s many bike paths along the canal and Ottawa River or flee to the nearby Gatineau Park for a hike in the hills. The nation’s capital and surrounding area will be abuzz with activity in the early days of Summer.
You will leave CES 2020 with new ideas and practices to share with your colleagues and apply in your work, an expanded evaluation network to support and sustain you, and a wider appreciation of all that is great to do and see in the Ottawa-Gatineau region.
The C2020 organizing team is pleased to advise all interested in the conference of the following milestones. It is our intention to follow closely these milestone dates to help both delegates and our organizational committee to plan and prepare accordingly.
Website launch: May 28, 2019
Sponsorship and exhibition prospectus: October 15, 2019
Publication of proposal guidelines: October 15, 2019
Proposal period launch: November 1, 2019
Proposal period close: December 8, 2019
Firm Yeses decision issued: January 17, 2020
Waiting list invitations issued: February 5, 2020
All program confirmed: March 1, 2020
Early-bird registration opened: March 1, 2020
Regular registration opened: April 21, 2020
App available: May 16, 2020
Program brochure finalized (pdf): June 1, 2020
For more information, please go to http://c2020.evaluationcanada.ca/